´Guided By His Hands´: A Must Read

´Guided By His Hands´: A Must Read
(A Critique of Senator (Otunba) Olabiyi Durojaiye’s Book)

With best wishes to my young banker – Mr. Oluwole Olusanya. From Senator Olabiyi Durojaiye

On Friday 30th December, 2016 - the last working day in the year, I had plans to leave work very early (we call it - piate) because I wanted to meet with Chief Eze to finalize the terms and agreement of a business I intend to launch in the New Year. So, I was reluctant when Kenny (a colleague) directed that I should help her to pick up a cheque from the Senator’s place because it would obviously disrupt my plans for the day but I didn’t have a choice. I called the driver available and we set out immediately.
We got to the Senator’s place at some minutes past 1 and he was attending to two people in his office. It was obvious that the meeting was almost over and he brought out his latest book – Guided by His Hands, autographed it and presented it to each of them. How can I miss such opportunity? I requested for a copy immediately the duo left and the Senator was so happy to give it to me, he also autographed it (With best wishes to my young banker – Mr. Oluwole Olusanya. From Senator Olabiyi Durojaiye) and implored me to share whatever I learn from his book with others of my age. I was overwhelmed by his kindness and generosity.

Guided By His Hands is a must read for everybody and I feel privileged to have it because the book summarizes in great details the fundamentals of the grass to grace story of Senator (Otunba) Olabiyi Durojaiye, I was addicted to it as soon as I read the first page and my mom developed the same symptom.
In consequence, a critique is an extensive analysis of a literal work and this article would examine the strengths and weaknesses of the book and offer advices on how to improve in a future publication.

*    The Arrangement Of Chapters – The most significant attribute of the book is the arrangement and presentation of chapters; the book was structured in a way that one chapter would effectively capture an important aspect and topic of discussion and it would also prepare the reader for what the next chapter would basically be all about. All the 12 chapters in the 323 pages book were carefully designed to work interdependently towards the goal of giving the reader an insight to the author’s life and times, triumphs and defeats, weakness and strength, limitations and achievements and so on.

*    Sentence Structure and Lexical Uniqueness – I totally agree with the Senator when he noted that ‘Guided by his Hands’ is a product of divine inspiration because the book was perfectly prepared in terms of sentence structure and grammatical flexibility which makes it possible for every class of people to understand and assimilate in totality what the Senator intends to pass across.

*    Pictorial Illustration- The use of pictures in the book made it unique in a number of ways; it effectively aided the author’s crusade. Most pictures were old family pictures which reveal that the Senator keeps important records scrupulously and it also re-enforces the fact he carried out an extensive research before embarking on the project.

Images of the torn and faded sophisticat he wore throughout his 18 and a half month in detention during the military regime of the late dictator, General Sani Abacha in page 137 validates the explanation of how he was subjected to dehumanizing treatment throughout his stay in captivity which Chapter 8 titled; Pro-Democracy Activities (Pages 159 -194) is specially dedicated to.

Alternatively, I would suggest that pictures should be displayed immediately at the conclusion of related chapters and not in a clustered format as used in the book.

*    Referencing- The author provided every detail of his research sources in the Appendix column which was strategically place at the end of the book. It would promote further research and it would also help a great deal to authenticate the author’s facts and figures in cases there are augments of inconsistencies in future. I appropriate his efforts and pray for many more years in good health. Amen.

Perhaps, I would have preferred a Bibliographic format where these research sources are located immediately at the end of the chapters. This is because most readers might not have the luxury of time to read to the last page of the book.


Conclusively, I believe you would agree that anyone that summarizes a life spanning 80 years (and still counting) without missing out on important details is a genius. Reading the book would specifically educate the reader on the grass to grace story of the distinguished Senator but it is also important to note that Senator Olabiyi Durojaiye have touched a lot of lives positively. The 12th Chapter of the book titled; Biyi Durojaiye as perceived by friends and associates by Dr. S. Oluwayomi Oladunjoye says it all. It is always heart-warming and motivating to know that your presence on the planet earth is a blessing to other peoples’ lives and they are eternally thankful to God because of your significant contribution in enriching their lives. I am inspired.

The book is filled with inspiring stories, you just don’t want to drop it– Ohenhen-Meduoye Comfort Kehinde (12TH January, 2017)



Hmm, you guys won’t believe what happened today again o? As I call Baba say make I tell am about my article on his book. He told me that he was successfully confirmed as the Chairman of the National Telecommunications Commission (NCC) by the Nigerian Senate yesterday. I can’t wait to migrate o. Who say I don’t know influential people? Wait till you see me shaking hands with Buhari for TV. LOL

God Bless Nigeria
God Bless the Senator
God Bless Us All.

Olusanya, Oluwole Sheriff

Comments