Cakes or Gifts: What is your take on Valentine's Day?


Cakes or Gifts: What is your take on Valentine's Day?

Penultimate Friday, I was in 'Cakes and Cream' on an errand to get a ‘betday’ cake for a super boss and I could not help but notice the atmosphere - A lot of preparations for Valentines' day. I saw some Valentine-themed cakes and I was wowed. It is obvious that the staff of the company and others alike will be overwhelmed with countless pre-orders and wonderful designs to celebrate Lover's day. I totally believe that the day has been conceptualized to mean something somewhat different. "He has to take me out" "You have to buy me a gift o" These phases are popular sentences at this time of the year. "If, he loves you, he will take you out on Val' day" Yeah, we are familiar with that too. "He is not with you on Feb. 14 because he is out with another chic" Hmm, that one too.

Moving swiftly on, on my way back from 'Cakes and Cream', I boarded a 'Keke' with another guy and a ‘chic’ and they started talking about cakes and valentines' day. "Would you like a cake for Vals' day?” The guy was asking the chic. "Hmm, well, a cake won’t be a bad idea, especially the red velvet cake". ‘Chics’ sebi form sha! I was seriously ears dropping; He also asked her how many cakes she gets on her ‘betday’. She replied in a similar manner. "At least, on the average, I get one cake on my ‘betday’" Am sure you want to know what I was thinking; "Na today? ‘Betday’ cake ko, ‘betday’ cake ni." As a sharp guy, I could deduce that from the look of things, this ‘chic’ is a new catch and he is seriously trying to wow her. Don’t doubt my street instincts o, I have been there a couple of times, I know the feeling. So, they continued their conversation till they alighted at Salvation bus stop, Opebi. 

So, let’s get back to our conversation about Valentine’s Day, I believe the best thing is to educate my readers on the reason for February 14th and issues surrounding it existence and significance. 
According to Wikipedia.com, Valentine's Day, also called Saint Valentine's Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine, is celebrated annually on February 14. Originating as a Western Christian feast day honoring one or more early saints named 'Valentinus', Valentine's Day is recognized as a significant cultural, religious, and commercial celebration of romance in many regions around the world, although it is not a public holiday in any country. (Source: Wikipedia.com)

Interestingly, last Wednesday, a friend told me about her experience on a fateful valentine’s day, she noted that she regretted the idea of hanging out with a male friend on that day some years ago and she would never repeat such. She also remembered amid laughter how she had to go back home when she noticed that she carried a red bag to work on February 14. “I immediately returned home o. I had to change the bag to another one. Everyone was wearing a touch of red and I was like; what is happening today? before I remembered it was Val. I won’t even take a walk with a guy on Val” She concluded jokingly.

Conclusively, I am sure you guys want to know what my plan/plans for Valentine’s Day is/are; Okay, as a sharp guy, I will not be taking anybody out (“wait, is there somebody to even take out sef?”) on that special day because it is not special to me and I will be at work but I will make sure I get a wonderful cake to celebrate the day with the most important people in my life – my family. Will you do the same? Do you have a different plan? Please share your opinions in the comment box.

Have a wonderful Val.

God Bless Us All

Olusanya, Oluwole Sheriff

Comments