ONE ARTICLE FOR JAGA: THE ONE WHO IS IRREPLACEABLE

ONE ARTICLE FOR JAGA: THE ONE WHO IS IRREPLACEABLE

So, it was the last working day in January and I was preparing to leave after a stressful day at work. Interestingly, I was my-usual-playful-and-un-serious-self when he told me he was leaving. Oga mi, are you serious? I did not believe him because I did not think it will happen in the next two decades. Alternatively, I thought we were going to be celebrating his ‘betday’ together on 8th of May, when he hits that milestone age. I have been patiently waiting for that day to come, now; I am staring at his resignation letter, I did not know what to say; "Oga mi, I don’t know if I should be crying or laughing o!" That's me trying to be a strong person.

Troubled by the reality that has just confronted me, I went into the Lunchroom and I was alone for some minutes. I was thinking about it all, I was trying to make sense of it all. I thought; “Well maybe, Life is not supposed to make any sense at all. One minute, this person is an integral part of our life and the next they have left. He is one of the people I look forward to seeing at work after a long holiday. He is one of the reasons I told my supervisors it has to be Allen Avenue Branch or nothing at all. He is one of the reasons I am getting better every minute. He is one of the reasons I am not in a hurry to start my last year’s leave. He is one of the reasons I want to be in marketing and not public sector collections. He is the first person I send my weekly articles to and I am always eager to get his feedback. We are the only guys in the department, why is he leaving me to face it all?” I could not stop thinking.

I could not stop asking questions; “Why is life so sudden? Why does life take away people that are so important to us when we need them the most? Why will he choose to resign now when I need him more than ever?” I was perplexed.

“Hmm, I can’t count the number of times you have had to lie to cover my tracks, I can’t count the number of times you have had to intervene to save the day, I can’t count the number of times you have told me the truth when I didn’t want to hear it, I can’t count all your  good deeds towards me, I can’t remember the number of times I have disrespected you and  you will still act in a very mature way to straighten things out, I can’t count the number of things I have learnt from you since coming to Sterling Bank.” I am still shocked and mystified.

Conclusively, like Madam Rose said on Thursday morning after KSS, I am going to fill the irreplaceable void created by your absence more than anybody else but I understand that change is the only constant thing in life and a man has to be strong in rough times – one of your teachings. God will continue to bless you, Oga mi. You will not have any cause to regret your action sir, Amen.
:(

The Jagaban of Allen, I am missing you already.

Best Wishes,

Oluwole

Comments