Artist Jordan Sondler Shows Us: It’s Fresh to be Nostalgic

You rock those bananas, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.



Written by Janet Hu

Bold. Naive. Nostalgic.

That’s how artist Jordan Sondler describes her work. There’s something to be said about intentional naivety. There’s a childlike fearlessness in bright colors and jejune prints that draws positive attention in the purest way.

Who can object to a little sunshine? We certainly don’t.

We asked the NYC-based artist to create a line of socks for us that are emblematic of her work–bold, naive, and nostalgic:

Jordan Sondler x Alynn Socks

These hand-sketched fruits are by no means anatomically correct. But they somehow stir vivid memories of summers past, fruit picking (though when’s the last time you visited a pineapple orchard?), and devouring watermelon shaped cream pops. As retro-inspired as the print may be, these socks are certified fresh.

We had the opportunity to ask Sondler about her work and dip our toes into the delightful crossover of “art ex fashion.”

Artist Q&A with Jordan Sondler:

Jordan Sondler

What got you started in art & illustration? What keeps you going?

A high school teacher had pushed me to pursue illustration going into college, and it stuck! I can’t imagine doing anything else, to be honest. I love the life I’ve been able to create for myself because of my career, and that keeps me going.

What are your favorite illustration tools/methods/processes?

I started using the iPad Pro a year ago and have never looked back. I used to draw everything by hand in ink.

You’re based in NYC. How has that inspired your work?
New York has been an exciting place to call home. It’s a great place to be single—you can be as anonymous as you want, or you can go out of your comfort zone to meet new people. There is so much going on at all times. I like knowing that NYC’s not going anywhere.

What’s your favorite subject matter or theme to create art about?

My life and feelings.

What were some of your most exciting projects?
This summer, I had a mural up on the Lower East Side depicting kissers of all different types. It was wild seeing that all over the Internet.

Jordan Sondler Kissing Mural Instagram Fomofeed

Jordan Sondler kissing mural instagram

What was the concept behind this design for Alynn?
We were trying to come up with a gender neutral theme, and I also wanted to design something that I would like to wear myself. Fruit is fun and always on trend! I would wear it every season.

What’s next? Any exciting projects you’re working on now?

A book! I can’t tell you more than that though.

What is your favorite fruit?

Raspberries.

What are some of your hobbies?

Cooking, going to the dog park, growing my collections of books and records.

Choose one: socks or ties?

Socks.

Choose one: skirt or pants?

Pants.

Choose one: button-downs or tees?

Tees.

Choose one: jeans or chinos?

Jeans.

Choose one: jeans or leggings?

Jeans.

Choose one: no-show socks or mid-calf socks?

Mid-calf socks.

Favorite footwear to complement these Alynn socks?

Doc Martens.

What do you do when you lose a single sock? Throw out the stray sock, or wear mismatched socks?

Hoard the sock in the back of a drawer and hope its mate reappears one day!

Janet Hu

SOURCE: THE GENTLEMANUAL

Comments