4 YEARS DON WAKA



As the title above implies; ‘4 years don waka, I still dey carry go, no, I neva waka, no, I neva go solo, baba God, na your grace o, mo dupe o’. - 4 Years (The Remix) - Styl-Plus Featuring Shegzsablezs.😆😆😆
Yesterday, I was singing this song from Styl-Plus to commemorate my forth anniversary in Sterling Bank. It has been four wonderful years; laced with obstacles, challenges, hindrances, successes, achievements, recognition, promotions and truth be told, it has been a marvelous experience.
Please permit me to ‘teleport’ back to my days in Lagos State Ministry of Agriculture & Co-operatives, where I worked in the Cash Office of the Accounts Department. I got the LASG job on a platter of gold. Sometimes in May 2013, I was at home when my mom returned from work on the fateful day with the good news of my employment with the State Government; I never attended any job interview nor submitted any written application. I got the job with the help of God, my mom's connection and my family pedigree.
Yeah, she was in the Co-operatives Department of the same Ministry at that time and my uncle, Ashipa Kaoli Olusanya was the immediate past Commissioner of Agriculture, so it was too easy.
Working in the state government's employment was an eye-opener, it was my first paid employment and it taught me a lot of things about life. I had a wonderful Boss - Mrs. Adetola, my Director - Mrs. Ayoola is a cordial person too. She had a special interest in me partly because of her relationship with my mom and my Permanent Secretary - Alh. Yakub Bashorun is a wonderful man. I was surrounded with beautiful people. God bless all of them.
Perhaps, everything seemed to be working well but something was missing. I was in my early 20s but I was working in an organization of people in their 50 - 60 years of age. I needed to connect with my peers but I was helpless. I was in the right place with the right people but at the wrong stage in life. So, I decided to leave.
Unfortunately, my mom could not make any sense of my reason to switch lanes. She wanted me to stay, everyone wanted me to stay but I had to do what I thought was best for me at that point in time and it turned out to be one of the best decisions I have taken in life. Truth be told, I still miss my old friends and ‘Ogas’ in Ministry of Agriculture and they miss me too.
Obviously, coming to Sterling Bank has made me a better person in all ramifications and my mom has finally agreed that I did the right thing. She is thankful to God and she also appreciates the fact that I was stubborn and tenacious in the face of stiff opposition.

Moving swiftly on, four years in a financial institution is no joke especially when you are coming from a public sector employment that is well known for its poorly motivated staff and their nonchalant attitude.
However, Sterling Bank made the transition much easier because of the following points highlighted in the subsequent paragraphs;
v  The People - The people is the heart and soul of any and every organization. They determine the success and failure of the organization. Obviously, Sterling Bank is blessed with wonderful human resources, it is evident in our notable achievements and we stand out among our peers in a highly saturated Nigerian Financial Industry. I was posted to Allen Avenue branch after a week’s training in our Aromire Branch and I was welcomed by the motherly love of my former Business Manager - Mrs. Anuli Okuofu. Allen Avenue branch is blessed with an enviable team of dedicated staff. God bless Allen, God bless Sterling.
v  The Place - The organisation is incontestably a great place to work. Trainings and re-trainings are organized for staff at periodic intervals to ensure that we are abreast of happenings in our environment, our industry and the world at large and extra-curricular activities are organized to ensure that we do not drown in the pressure of everyday life demands.
Conclusively, I would love to thank everyone that have made my journey in Sterling Bank a success story, my colleagues in Allen Branch headed by the present Business Manager - Mrs. Kemi Wilkey, my Supervisors in Aromire Branch and friends in other branches and departments. God Bless You All.👍👍👍👍
#GreatPlace2Work
God Bless Sterling Bank
Olusanya, Oluwole Sheriff



Comments