POEMS BY ONE MICAIAH




How Did You Get Here?
“Bola, wake up!” I heard a sweet voice calling in my head. It sounded persistently that I’d have preferred continuing the sleep and also hearing the voice altogether nonstop.
However, the feel of a mighty palm slamming against my face swapped me off my unconsciousness and before I knew it, I was touching my left cheek with my right hand and staring angrily at the person standing in front of me. He kept shouting and rambling with anger to my face, but I cared less about what he has to say, not after that kind of hot sleep awakening slap.
Since he wouldn’t stop yelling, I pondered on what had actually kept me from waking up after hearing my voice like a million times. I had a beautiful dream. It happened right inside my room. Dad was off to work. Mom had travelled for a course abroad. Sister went to the grannies for the summer holiday. And I was just home in time when I received the call.
“Hello.” I received the call.
“Hi, Bola. It’s me, Vanessa.” The voice responded.
I remembered flipping the PS4 pad in my hand away and smiling like I just won Bet9ja. We chatted a bit and soon, she asked if I was home alone.
“Wow!” I said in my head. “Even if I’m not home alone, I’ll find a home alone with you.” I continued in my head too.
I don’t know if I had replied her question but the next thing I heard was ‘I’m on my way’ and the call was dropped. I flung myself up, quickly ran into the bathroom to take a very cold bath, coz I had no time to warm water. Cleaned the room up a bit and sat in preparation for Vanessa’s arrival.
I dashed to the gate before the doorbell finished ringing, met her at the gate alone but was so dumbfounded that I just stared in quietness only for her to break the unusual silence.
“Hello…” She waved her hand over my face. “Can I get a hug?” She leaned forward.
I hugged her lightly and whispered into her ear, ‘you look adorable.’ She blushed a little and walked into the house with full confidence. I closed the gate and walked her strictly to my room.
We talked for awhile about school, friends, teachers, celebrities, parents, future, etc. We watched some short videos online; comedy, music, etc. We moved into playing games together, laughed about the loser and so on. Soon, she asked if I have any booze at home. I simply said ‘no’ with a surprised look and she just smiled back and said she was just joking with me.
At a point she suddenly broke down in tears and buried her face in my pillow. I tried patting her, and asking shyly what the matter was. She wouldn’t talk, so, I just left her alone and went to the sitting room. I thought maybe she might need a little alone time. By the time I checked back, she was very fast asleep. I simply went back to the sitting room, and before I know it, I was also in the dreamland.
I woke up some hours later, I guess, walked to the room half awake, but noticed Vanessa was still sleeping on my bed with her face facing upwards. A lot of thoughts ran through my mind, and as I contemplated on what to do to her, I fell back on my back as I had no liver to do anything at all.
Shortly after, she woke up and asked the way to the bathroom. When she was back, she asked if I knew what time it is. I asked her to check the wall clock in the sitting room, but she laid back on the bed, being lazy to go to the sitting room. She was fast asleep again. I went to sleep also not risking any stupid stuffs running through my head.
At a point, I touch her breasts unconsciously. She didn’t react and I thought I might as well kiss her too. Just as I stretched to kiss, then came the hot sleep awakening slap from my dad.
I was still holding on to my cheek when another one landed on it again. I cried out this time asking what I’d done wrong.
“I said who’s this girl in my house?” He yelled angrily.
I looked to my side and to my surprise, Vanessa was right there staring blankly at me.
“How did you get here?” I asked her surprisingly.
Then came another hot sleep awakening slap. But this time, it is supposed to remind me of how she got here.

One Micaiah.




Mikaiah Sunday Oyepintemi also known as One Micaiah is a Medical Laboratory Science graduate of the College of Medicine of the University of Lagos, a writer of poems and short stories and a lover of life. He is a believer of love and true friendship. Writing, to him, is the only way he can speak without talking. He hopes to write and publish as many books as he can, while alive. He looks forward to meeting new friends too. Please follow him on Twitter @One_Micaiah

Comments