HAPPY CHILDREN DAY 2018


HAPPY CHILDREN DAY 2018: WHAT HAPPENED TO MY FIRST WRISTWATCH?

Hello everyone today is Children's day!
Most significantly, to commemorate Children’s day and celebrate with the leaders of tomorrow, I have decided that it would be best if I share an experience from my childhood.
In consequence, I would be reminiscing about a particular event from my childhood and I would let you, my esteemed readers know about how I got my first wristwatch and what happened to it.
Before I start, I would like to carve your indulgence on some misinformation that might be contained in this epic piece because these events took place about 20 years and I may not remember them correctly. Perfection is for the Almighty, please accept my sincere apologies.
Moving swiftly on, if you are a good friend of SHEGZSABLEZS, you will know that his younger brother is a very important part of his life. Yeah, Tooh and I go way back. Okay, mine was a family of six, my parents and four children; two girls and two boys - Temitope, Abiodun, Oluwole and the baby of the house - Taiwo.
Taiwo aka 'Tooh Moni' and I attended the same primary and secondary school - Christ Academy High School, Ikotun. I remember the countless times I had to make sure everything was fine with my little bro. but guess what feeples? That little bro. looks older and bigger than me now. No be small thing!
Back to our conversation, I was in charge of our finances, being the eldest, my dad would hand over our pocket money to me for safe-keeping and I made sure we saved a lot of them.
On a fateful day, we decided to get a wristwatch for the both of us from our savings. The wristwatches were the first assets we decided to get for ourselves on our own without any help from an external body. You can only imagine the joy when we decided that we would trek to Ikotun main-market after school to get the time pieces.
Ganiyu was my school friend, I wonder where he is now sha!, he helped us to navigate the road from Custom Bus Stop where our school was located to Ikotun because we had never embark on such journey prior to that day. We trekked to Ikotun, got our wristwatches, trekked back home but we got home very late, my dad had already returned from work, he was wondering where the heck his two young boys at visited after school.
We arrived and all hell was let loose, He was mad at me for not attending to my domestic chores among other responsibilities. He was really furious; I tried to explain to him that we went to the market to get some wristwatches after school hoping that it would make things better but it made it worst.
He demanded that we hand over the wristwatches and destroyed them right in our presence. I was completely devastated; I could not make any sense of what he did. I cried my eyes out. My mom tried to help, she narrated the whole story to our Aunt, Dr. (Mrs) Oluwafunmilayo Aina who gave us some monies and we got another set of new wristwatches but that it very little to comfort my broken heart.
For about two decades, It was hard to let go of this terrible experience and these maltreatments form some of the basis for the dislike I had for my dad. We never got along until recently when God intervened.
Perhaps, I am sure he forgot the scenario two days after but I can never forget how I got my first wristwatch and what happened to it. I have plans to narrate this same story to my children, grand-children and great grand children.
Conclusively, as we celebrate children’s day today, we should make conscious efforts to treat our young Kings and Queens with utmost love, respect and affection because they may never forget how we treated them when they we were young and defenseless.
Takeaway - Do you have any childhood experience you would love to share? Please use the comments box provided below. #HappyChildrensDay

God Bless Us All

Olusanya, Oluwole Sheriff

Comments