POEMS BY ONE MICAIAH




Why Else Would I Want to Toast You?
So, I was on a minor date with a friend long time ago – we basically went to eat ‘amala’ somewhere called White House in Sabo, Yaba. She literally forced me on the date because I had promised to give her a treat a long time ago – I swear; I can’t even remember. The only advantage was I was expecting the place to be expensive asf, but it turned out to be cheaper than I had expected. And the major disadvantage, which I’d like to refer to as a major disappointment, is the fact that I felt like she overhyped the sweetness of the amala. I already made another promise to take her on another amala date, a place not far from school. I bet she’s going to forget White House ever existed.
At the end of the date, we walked together towards where she was supposed to get a bus to her place, and we spoke about the guys pestering her life – especially the senseless ones asking for marriage without considering friendship first. It’s quite outright if you’ll ask me, but I was honestly not surprised to hear about it. At least, I’ve heard and seen worse situations.
Yeah, we arrived at the bus stop finally, and so the big question that had started our little argument while walking needed to be sorted out one way or the other. Guess what it was – NOT EVERY GUY WANTS TO HAVE SEX WITH EVERY GIRL HE MEETS. She was for the notion and I was definitely against it. I mean, how interesting will life be if we are all for the same notion. No arguments, no life mehn.
To back up her claim, she said she has a friend in school that she trusted so much she could go sleep over with and nothing would happen between them. She was very particular about the nothing happening between them, and from the way she said it, she made it seem like the guy wouldn’t want to have sex with her – of course, that’s a very bad omen if any girl asked me. Why should you be happy about the fact that guys don’t feel like having sex with you?
Hence, WHY ELSE WOULD I WANT TO TOAST YOU, IF I DON’T FEEL LIKE HAVING SEX WITH YOU?
Now don’t get me wrong.”  I said to her. “I’m not saying every guy wants to have sex with every girl he meets.”  I continued. Hell no. But for real, I do not think any guy would approach any girl he can’t have sex with – unless I’m evangelizing sha.
The argument continued, probably because I have this problem of explaining myself in a less complicating way. Most of the times, a situational question always solves the problem, so I asked, “Would you consider it a normal thing for a guy to approach another guy on the road just to ask for friendship?”
Guess what the first statement of her reply was – WHEN HE’S NOT GAY. Abeg, why would you consider calling a guy approaching a guy a gay if sex isn’t involved?
As much as I’d have loved to admit that I’m very wrong, I still haven’t found the right reasons to do that. Therefore, if you feel you have that reason, kindly leave it below. And if you feel I’m on the right path, support me jare.

Peace out






Mikaiah Sunday Oyepintemi also known as One Micaiah is a Medical Laboratory Science graduate of the College of Medicine of the University of Lagos, a writer of poems and short stories and a lover of life. He is a believer of love and true friendship. Writing, to him, is the only way he can speak without talking. He hopes to write and publish as many books as he can, while alive. He looks forward to meeting new friends too. Please follow him on Twitter @One_Micaiah

Comments