POEMS BY ONE MICAIAH




Psychiatric Disorder
Good day wherever you may be, and I hope you’ve had fine days in the past few weeks. There’s nothing really new to say because I’ve been very busy lately with school stuff. I’m not sure I really added what I do to my introductory post about some weeks back, but now I feel I should let you know.
I am a final year student of the department of Medical Laboratory Science of the College of Medicine of the University of Lagos delighted in the special unit of Clinical Chemistry. I really don’t know so much yet about my unit, but I know I’ve been given one of the most difficult seminar and project topics ever. And since I started my seminar research today, I want to share with you the little I’ve written out of it.
The seminar topic is simply Current Biomarkers in Psychiatric Disorders. And I have just written a very tiny part of it. Let’s go:
What is a Psychiatric Disorder?
A Psychiatric disorder, also called mental disorder is a diagnosis by a mental health professional of a behavioral or mental pattern that may cause suffering or a poor ability to function in life. It is a disorder characterized by disturbances in a person’s thoughts, emotions or behavior. It can refer to a wide variety of disorders, varying from those that cause mild distress to those that severely impair a person’s ability to function. For a psychiatric state to classify as a disorder, it generally needs to cause dysfunction.
According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder (DSM), a mental disorder is a psychological syndrome or pattern which is associated with distress, disability, increased risk of death or causes of a significant loss of autonomy.
The causes of psychiatric disorders are often unclear. Psychiatric disorders are usually defined by a combination of how a person behaves, feels, perceives or thinks. This may be associated with particular regions or functions of the brain, often in a social context. People with severe psychiatric disorders experience disturbing symptoms that can make it difficult to hold a job, go to school, relate to others, or cope with ordinary life demands.


Common psychiatric disorders include depression, which affects about 400 million, dementia, which affects about 35 million, and schizophrenia which affects about 21 million people globally.
People with schizophrenia may hear voices inside their head that say nasty things about them or command them to act in strange or unpredictable ways. People with major depression may feel that nothing brings pleasure and that life is so dreary and unhappy that it is better to be dead.  People with panic disorder may experience heart palpitations, rapid breathing and anxiety so extreme that they may not be able to leave home. People who experience episodes of mania may engage in reckless sexual behavior or may spend money indiscriminately; acts that later cause them to feel guilt, shame, and desperation. People with a personality disorder may experience loneliness and isolation because their personality style interferes with social relations. People with eating disorders may become so preoccupied with their weight and appearance and they force themselves to vomit or refuse to eat. Sexual disorder involves sexual arousal to objects, situations or individuals that are considered abnormal or harmful to them or others.
That’s what I sent to my supervisor this morning, and I hope I don’t get screamed at when he’s back in school. As time goes on, I’ll continue to share every bit of my seminar write-ups with you. Don’t forget to read, comment, like and share. Thank you very much. Xoxo…



Mikaiah Sunday Oyepintemi also known as One Micaiah is a Medical Laboratory Science graduate of the College of Medicine of the University of Lagos, a writer of poems and short stories and a lover of life. He is a believer of love and true friendship. Writing, to him, is the only way he can speak without talking. He hopes to write and publish as many books as he can, while alive. He looks forward to meeting new friends too. Please follow him on Twitter @One_Micaiah

Comments