POEMS BY ONE MICAIAH




His Bone Was Out!
I wish I won’t write about this, but who am I to wish for things that are meant to always be. Like someone will say, “what will be will be
The day was the 5th day into the New Year and someone was at the brink of death – the previous day. It was not funny at all. To be sincere, there must have been a lot of them somewhere else, but I saw two of them with my own eyes; struggling to live like any normal human being should.
The woman’s agony was better compared to the man’s. Even with the kind of pain the woman had found herself in, living a normal, poor and wretched life would have been far better. She just kept shouting brutally in a language I can’t comprehend. I felt her pain deep within me. The kind of pain strong enough to keep her mind off the pepper and fish she had bought for dinner that night. I’m sure she could not even remember having a thousand naira note with her; dropped on the busy express road. Smh.
The man was a bike rider, just as I had presumed. His pain was too afflictive to be expressed in my writing. It was that kind of pain that keeps you gravely silent; silent as death itself. For some minutes, I thought he had died. He just lay helplessly on the road, probably recalling the best memories of his life, or maybe cursing the present time for his bad luck.
His bone was out. I don’t know how many, but none of us, passersby, was thick enough to look at it. My heart couldn’t hold on to it. Even after leaving the scene, it was as if I had walked back home lifelessly. I could not stop thinking about it.
If they had died, that would have been the end; the end of the lives they must have worked so hard to better. What then is the essence of life if we are all living to die one day; a day unknown and unexpected. Just one day. No second, third, fourth or fifth lives like Candy Crush.
A woman, also at the locale, walked up to me, gave me a big hug and kept whispering ‘Mercy of God’. She was too terrified by the sight that she does not even care to whom she was holding next. We haven’t even seen each other before.
I could not eat that night. I used to think having spent enough years in the medical school should make me fearless of seeing dead bodies or almost dead bodies. I was totally horrified myself.
Watching a dying man is totally different from seeing a dead one. I prayed that the man would not have to live a lame if he survives living lifelessly, and that the woman also finds peace after recovery. Amen!


Mikaiah Sunday Oyepintemi also known as One Micaiah is a Medical Laboratory Science graduate of the College of Medicine of the University of Lagos, a writer of poems and short stories and a lover of life. He is a believer of love and true friendship. Writing, to him, is the only way he can speak without talking. He hopes to write and publish as many books as he can, while alive. He looks forward to meeting new friends too. Please follow him on Twitter @One_Micaiah

Comments